Friday, October 18, 2013




Hello friends and family! I apologize that this is only now going up. I have been avoiding writing about my trip because so much happened before, during, and after it that I have been unable to get my thoughts together in an organized fashion. I decided to break down my trip into a few separate posts: The backstory of my trip, my trip itself, and prayers that were answered/additional prayer requests. This post is the backstory covering why I went to Ireland. It is VERY wordy, and perhaps not of interest to everyone. If you would simply like to hear about my trip itself please stay tuned for the next post in a day or two. Thank you again to everyone who prayed, encouraged, and gave so generously of your time and resources to help me take this trip. I love you!
-Abbi

Backstory:
I have been interested in/fond of Irish culture since I was a little girl. My grandpa on my dad’s side would constantly sing Irish songs or have them playing. The words were so beautiful and often sad, and I began to listen to Irish music and read stories of Irish people on my own. I knew I wanted to visit someday.

I went through a stage in Jr. high and high school where I would wear Irish shirts and watch films with Irish themes. In college I started throwing St. Patrick’s Day parties…to this day friends still call/text me on St. Patrick’s day…I’ve even received green care packages. ☺

All of the delight I took in dabbling in (very Americanized) Irish culture became something deeper and stronger as I began to pray for Ireland and pray for an opportunity to go there. A love for the people of Ireland, and a desire to understand them and God’s heart for them began to take root.

I watched, waited, dreamed, and saved my pennies (literally…ask my old roommates!) in hope that I would one day make the trip.

I began to look into different opportunities, such as tours, schools, and work programs. I first wanted to go to Galway, simply because, if I’m being honest, it looked so beautiful in photographs and films. Haha! That interest caused me to inquire into a program called WOOFING that allows you to work on a farm in Ireland for room and board in exchange for your labor. I posted a message about three years ago in an online forum stating that I was interested in applying for a farm in Galway. As a side note, anyone who knows me is probably laughing at the thought of ME on a farm. Needless to say, I did not end up as a WOOFER, but God used that inquiry to point me in a different direction. I received an invitation to work on a farm in Cork, not Galway. I was surprised by this, because I marked on my forum profile that I was only interested in Galway. I was unable at the time to go to Cork, but that message was just the reality check I needed to think about why I wanted to go to Galway, and if that was even the part of Ireland God wanted to send me to. I began to pray about Cork, and as I did, I got a strong sense that I needed to continue to pray for/about this place.

A few weeks later I was at a birthday party catching up with an old friend. He asked what God was doing in my life and I casually mentioned that I was praying about going to Ireland. “Oh yes,” he said quickly and naturally. “You’re going to Cork.” I just stared at him. A second later he said “That was weird…not sure if that was me or God.” I didn’t know either, but I took it as further guidance to pray.

About a year later I was at a conference at my church in Los Angeles and was introduced to a missionary couple who live in Waterford, the Worrells, who I mentioned in my previous post. I chatted for a bit with Jannelle and mentioned that I was praying about going to Cork. She told me that Mike Neglia, pastor of Calvary Chapel, Cork was ALSO there at the conference that same day! I was surprised and excited to meet someone who was serving God in Cork, and not only that, but now I had a specific church to pray for.

All of these events happened here and there over the course of a few years, so nothing was quickly falling in to place, but I began a slow, steady pattern of prayer over if/when I could go to Cork. Last year I began talking with some friends and planning to take a weeklong trip. The grandparents of the girls I nanny graciously offered to fly to California for a week to babysit while I was gone.

One by one, for various reasons, my would-be travel companions realized they were unable to go. This was one more way God was directing my trip in a different way that I would have expected…I would be going by myself. I wasn’t upset by this, just surprised and a bit nervous, but it turned out to be such a blessing, allowing me to spend time with the Lord, as well as really think, pray, and rest.

As of July, I had specific dates set, but I hadn’t yet bought my tickets. That would be important, eh? I was planning this trip on my part-time nanny, part-time student budget, and ended up buying my trip in two one-way tickets over two separate paychecks. I had carefully planned out my budget, and would have just enough income to cover my lodging and meals, and take care of my bills when I got back to Los Angeles, before my next paycheck.

Throughout the whole planning process of my trip I would ask God “Am I crazy? Am I putting words in your mouth? Am I really supposed to take this trip? At this time?” Every time I prayed, I felt peace, and felt that the Lord was leading me. The scriptures would encourage me as well, and I slowly learned that this was an opportunity to step out in faith.

I planned as carefully as I could, and knew that money would be tight, but saw that the trip was doable. I was SO excited, and I saw God take care of everything I needed. What I DIDN’T know was coming, was that the week or two before my trip, people would begin to send me money for my trip. I received such generous gifts that I was left overwhelmed with wonder and gratefulness. One person even overnighted me a check from Oklahoma. I was in shock. Not only had God given me permission to go, He had paid for my entire trip and then some. What an awesome God I serve!

This thorough provision, specific leading, and tender care in my preparation process, would continue throughout my entire trip. God is so generous and gracious!

I know this post was a mile long, but hopefully this gives you a fairly clear idea of the backstory and events leading up to my trip. My next post will be my trip itself. I am excited to share more with you, and I thank God for the work He has done!


No comments: